Principal current roles
- Chair of Health Systems, School of Nursing and Human Sciences, Dublin City University
- Irish Blood Transfusion Service, Chair of board, 2012 – present
- Higher Education Authority, board member and chair of audit committee 2012 – present
- Health Insurance Authority, board member, 2012 – present
- Quality Matters, board member, 2012 – present
- I have contributed to a major programme of ICT development within the Irish health services, working closely with partners in HSE, hospitals, and the DoH.
- Since my return to Ireland I have established a high quality research program, which has successfully competed for external funding, and received international recognition. This has included major work on leukaemia and lymphoma epidemiology, blood stock management, and other topics.
- I have worked, pro-bono with many community groups in Ireland, assessing the health impacts of a range of proposed developments.
- I have produced a number of major reports on important strategic issues related to public health and health services, including waste and waste management, electromagnetic fields, blood stock management, the functions of the EPA, and most recently a report on health service financing.
- I initiated a new undergraduate degree program in Psychology in DCU.
- I have developed a new interdisciplinary MSc. in Child Health in UCD, the first such course in Ireland, and one which has met significant local needs.
- I have established close working links with Irish clinicians in oncology and haematology, and successfully organised and developed several large inter-hospital research projects.
- I have made significant contributions to teaching in the School, including the adoption of new technology for teaching and the redevelopment of many of our courses, and I was the lead on teaching and learning in the school.
Main research activities
Health Services Research
RICHE (Research Inventory for Child Health in Europe)
I am the coordinator of this project. We are funded by the Commission to prepare an analysis of the current state and future needs for child health research in Europe. This project, with 23 partners from fifteen EU member states, will be key to the future development of child public health and health services research in Europe.
TACTICS (Tools to support injury prevention in childhood)
TACTICS is a large scale, multi-year initiative working to provide better information, practical tools and resources to support adoption and implementation of evidence-based good practices for the prevention of injury to children and youth in Europe. In addition, in order to make the lives of all children in Europe safer TACTICS will explore health inequalities as they relate to childhood injury and more specifically target capacity building efforts at the regional and local levels. I am responsible for the internal evaluation of this project.
Costs of Obesity and Overweight in Ireland
With Anne Dee from HSE, Ivan Perry from UCC and Frank Kee from QUB, we are preparing the first all-island estimates of the costs of obesity and overweight in Ireland.
Autism Prevalence study
With Mary Rose Sweeney, I am carrying out the first ever prevalence study of autism spectrum disorder in Ireland. We have implemented a protocol designed by the EAIS study, a project funded by the Commission to design a standardized protocol for autism prevalence studies. We are the first pilot site for this protocol.
All-Ireland Traveller Health Study – Our Geels – a national study of Traveller health and healthcare
After nearly thirty years, the Irish Government has commissioned a new study of the health of the Irish Travelling community. A group of researchers from UCD and DCU, led by Prof Cecily Kelleher and I, have designed, and are carrying out a census of the community and a complex multi-phase survey of various aspects of Traveller health, Traveller service utilisation, and service provision. We are using both qualitative and quantitative methods. In particular we have developed a highly innovative computer system which supports Traveller fieldworkers, many of whom have limited literacy skills, in collecting information on their own communities.
Insight ’07 Consumer satisfaction survey for the Irish Health Service
I secured a contract from the HSE, together with Prof. Cecily Kelleher, to carry out the first large scale survey of consumer satisfaction with the Irish Health Services.
Health Economics – Economic burden of Cancer in Ireland, Resource Allocation Model
I have received a five year programme grant from the HRB, together with the National Cancer Registry, to carry out a series of studies on the economic burden of cancer in Ireland. This programme, which will start in October 2006, will include a detailed series of studies of the burden on the services, on patients and carers, of a single type of cancer, probably colo-rectal cancer, in Ireland. It is is the largest health economics project funded to date in the Republic of Ireland.
I have won a contract to develop a resource allocation model for the health services in the Republic of Ireland. This two year contract, secured through an internationally competitive tender process, is to evaluate resource allocation in the Irish services, and develop an open and transparent model for future resource allocation.
I received a programme grant from the HRB to establish the Transfusion Research Network, Ireland. We secured this after carrying out a series of studies on transfusion practice in Ireland for the National Blood Strategy Implementation Group. The TRNI was an all-Ireland collaboration between epidemiologists, the two blood transfusion services, and practising haematologists carrying out an extensive programme of health services research on the Irish blood supply. We led research on blood stock management, and on the recipients perceptions of the risks of transfusion.
Epidemiology of Lymphomas and Lymphoid Leukaemias
The Epilymph project is a very large European multi-centre case-control study of lymphoid malignancies. It is funded by the European commission, and, in Ireland, by the Health Research Board. It is on target to accrue 3,000 cases and 3,000 controls by the end of recruitment in June 2003. I run the Irish arm of this study. I am also the Irish member of the Interlymph group, an international collaboration of lymphoma epidemiologists co-ordinated by NCI and IARC.
Epilymph includes all lymphoid malignancies using the new WHO classification. The object of the study is to analyse three proposed sets of causes for these diseases – certain viruses, notably HIV, Hep-C, HHV-8 and EBV; certain specified occupational exposures – mostly chemicals; and sunlight. As a large set of biological specimens will be collected, there will be an excellent opportunity to analyse genetic factors related to lymphoma aetiology, and researchers in the DMMC plan to work in this area, with me, and with our colleagues at the DKFZ in Heidelberg.
Epidemiology of Multiple Myeloma
My group have been asked to take on the analysis of multiple myeloma in this study, and we have developed a detailed protocol for this. Multiple myeloma is a particular problem in Ireland, where we have the highest rates in Europe. The prognosis for this disease is also poor. I am now working on a study of the genetics of myeloma, with colleagues in the DMMC. We will be concentrating on DNA repair genes, and working on two other sets of candidate genes, immune modulating genes with our colleagues in Heidelberg, and xeno-biotic metabolism genes, probably with colleagues at IARC.
I have established with other colleagues from the Epilymph and Interlymph groups, a section of Interlymph working on multiple myeloma. We have begun work on an international collaborative analysis of data from several large case-control studies of myeloma. We have secured funding for this from Irish sources, and we have made an application to NCI for additional funding.
I established a focus on injury research shortly after returning from the UK. I work closely with Dr. Patricia Fitzpatrick, from our Department, Dr. Marie Laffoy the new Assistant Director for Population Health, and Dr. Alan Kelly who is based in Trinity. As a result the Department is the leading national centre for injury epidemiology, and is developing a growing international reputation for injury research. We have three projects under way at the moment, and a fourth just starting.
Injury in Ireland – An extensive descriptive analysis of injury data
Needle stick injury prevention – The development of a prevention program for needle stick injury in six Dublin hospitals
Head Injury – A study of the need for rehabilitation following moderate head injury
Poisoning in children – A Cochrane review, that is a systematic quantitative review, of methods for the prevention of poisoning from medications.
Other research activities
I have worked on a number of other projects, mostly where my statistical skills can contribute to the work. Examples include a complex clinical trial of exercise in pregnancy, and a study on gene expression in response to mechanical stress in rat femora, both longitudinal studies, and a cluster randomised clinical trial of shared care for diabetes. I have established a formal collaboration with the biomechanics group in RCSI, TCD and UCD. This has already resulted in several publications.
Supervision of research students
I gave supervised eight PhD students to completion- Dr. Elaine Scallan, Dr. Suzanne Lyons, Dr Rachel Barrett, Dr. Emer O’Connell, Dr. Keith Smart, Dr. Declan Meagher, Dr. Andrew Boilson, and Dr. Joyce Magala Mpalanyi. I am supervising two other students at the moment, Mr. Finian Fallon (due 2014), and Mr. Ged Doyle, (due 2017).
h-index 35 (Google Scholar)
1. Boilson A, Staines A, Kelleher CC, Daly L, Shirley I, Shrivastava A, Bailey SW, Alverson PB, Ayling JE, McDermott AP, Maccooey A, Scott JM, Sweeney MR. Unmetabolized folic acid prevalence is widespread in the older Irish population despite the lack of a mandatory fortification program. Am J Clin Nutr. 2012 Sep;96(3):613-21. Epub 2012 Aug 1. PubMed PMID: 22854405.
2. Kane EV, Roman E, Becker N, Bernstein L, Boffetta P, Bracci PM, Cerhan JR, Chiu BC, Cocco P, Costas L, Foretova L, Holly EA, La Vecchia C, Matsuo K, Maynadie M, Sanjose S, Spinelli JJ, Staines A, Talamini R, Wang SS, Zhang Y, Zheng T, Kricker A; for the InterLymph Consortium. Menstrual and reproductive factors, and hormonal contraception use: associations with non-Hodgkin lymphoma in a pooled analysis of InterLymph case-control studies. Ann Oncol. 2012 Sep;23(9):2362-2374. Epub 2012 Jul 10. PubMed PMID: 22786757; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3425371.
3. Becker N, Schnitzler P, Boffetta P, Brennan P, Foretova L, Maynadié M, Nieters A, Staines A, Benavente Y, Cocco P, de Sanjose S. Hepatitis B virus infection and risk of lymphoma: results of a serological analysis within the European case-control study Epilymph. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2012 Jul 6. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 22767316.
4. McGorrian C, Frazer K, Daly L, Moore RG, Turner J, Sweeney MR, Staines A, Fitzpatrick P, Kelleher CC; All-Ireland Traveller Health Study Research Team. The health care experiences of Travellers compared to the general population: the All-Ireland Traveller Health Study. J Health Serv Res Policy. 2012 Jul;17(3):173-80. Epub 2012 Jul 3. PubMed PMID: 22761349.
5. O Céilleachair A, Costello L, Finn C, Timmons A, Fitzpatrick P, Kapur K, Staines A, Sharp L. Inter-relationships between the economic and emotional consequences of colorectal cancer for patients and their families: a qualitative study. BMC Gastroenterol. 2012 Jun 7;12:62. PubMed PMID: 22676509; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3406941.
6. Smart KM, Blake C, Staines A, Thacker M, Doody C. Mechanisms-based classifications of musculoskeletal pain: Part 1 of 3: Symptoms and signs of central sensitisation in patients with low back (±leg) pain. Man Ther. 2012 Aug;17(4):336-44. Epub 2012 Apr 23.
7. Smart KM, Blake C, Staines A, Thacker M, Doody C. Mechanisms-based classifications of musculoskeletal pain: Part 2 of 3: Symptoms and signs of peripheral neuropathic pain in patients with low back (±leg) pain. Man Ther. 2012 Aug;17(4):345-51. Epub 2012 Mar 31.
8. Smart KM, Blake C, Staines A, Thacker M, Doody C. Mechanisms-based classifications of musculoskeletal pain: Part 3 of 3: Symptoms and signs of nociceptive pain in patients with low back (±leg) pain. Man Ther. 2012 Aug;17(4):352-7. Epub 2012 Mar 30.
9. Smart KM, Blake C, Staines A, Doody C. Self-reported pain severity, quality of life, disability, anxiety and depression in patients classified with ‘nociceptive’, ‘peripheral neuropathic’ and ‘central sensitisation’ pain. The discriminant validity of mechanisms-based classifications of low back (±leg) pain. Man Ther. 2012 Apr;17(2):119-25. Epub 2011 Nov 9.
10. Sharp L, Tilson L, Whyte S, O’Ceilleachair A, Walsh C, Usher C, Tappenden P, Chilcott J, Staines A, Barry M, Comber H. Cost-effectiveness of population-based screening for colorectal cancer: a comparison of guaiac-based faecal occult blood testing, faecal immunochemical testing and flexible sigmoidoscopy. Br J Cancer. 2012 Feb 28;106(5):805-16. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2011.580. Epub 2012 Feb 16.
11. Becker N, Falster MO, Vajdic CM, de Sanjose S, Martínez-Maza O, Bracci PM, Melbye M, Smedby KE, Engels EA, Turner J, Vineis P, Costantini AS, Holly EA, Spinelli JJ, La Vecchia C, Zheng T, Chiu BC, Montella M, Cocco P, Maynadié M, Foretova L, Staines A, Brennan P, Davis S, Severson R, Cerhan JR, Breen EC, Birmann B, Cozen W, Grulich AE, Newton R. Self-reported history of infections and the risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma: An InterLymph pooled analysis. Int J Cancer. 2012 Jan 21. doi: 10.1002/ijc.27438. [Epub ahead of print]
12. Urayama KY, Jarrett RF, Hjalgrim H, Diepstra A, Kamatani Y, Chabrier A, Gaborieau V, Boland A, Nieters A, Becker N, Foretova L, Benavente Y, Maynadié M, Staines A, Shield L, Lake A, Montgomery D, Taylor M, Smedby KE, Amini RM, Adami HO, Glimelius B, Feenstra B, Nolte IM, Visser L, van Imhoff GW, Lightfoot T, Cocco P, Kiemeney L, Vermeulen SH, Holcatova I, Vatten L, Macfarlane GJ, Thomson P, Conway DI, Benhamou S, Agudo A, Healy CM, Overvad K, Tjønneland A, Melin B, Canzian F, Khaw KT, Travis RC, Peeters PH, González CA, Quirós JR, Sánchez MJ, Huerta JM, Ardanaz E, Dorronsoro M, Clavel-Chapelon F, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Riboli E, Roman E, Boffetta P, de Sanjosé S, Zelenika D, Melbye M, van den Berg A, Lathrop M, Brennan P, McKay JD. Genome-wide association study of classical Hodgkin lymphoma and Epstein-Barr virus status-defined subgroups. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2012 Feb 8;104(3):240-53. Epub 2012 Jan 27.
13. Costas L, Casabonne D, Benavente Y, Becker N, Boffetta P, Brennan P, Cocco P, Foretova L, Maynadié M, Staines A, Kane E, Nieters A, de Sanjosé S. (2012) Reproductive factors and lymphoid neoplasms in Europe: findings from the EpiLymph case-control study. Cancer Causes Control. 2012 Jan;23(1):195-206. Epub 2011 Nov 25.
14. Tewari P, Ryan AW, Hayden PJ, Catherwood M, Drain S, Staines A, Grant T, Nieters A, Becker N, de Sanjose S, Foretova L, Maynardie M, Cocco P, Boffetta P, Brennan P, Chanock S, Lawler M, Browne PV. (2012) Genetic variation at the 8q24 locus confers risk to multiple myeloma. Br J Haematol. 2012 Jan;156(1):133-136. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2141.2011.08798.x. Epub 2011 Jul 19.
15. Benavente Y, Mbisa G, Labo N, Casabonne D, Becker N, Maynadie M, Foretova L, Cocco PL, Nieters A, Staines A, Bofetta P, Brennan P, Whitby D, de Sanjosé S. Antibodies against lytic and latent Kaposi’s sarcoma-associated herpes virus antigens and lymphoma in the European EpiLymph case-control study. Br J Cancer. 2011 Sep 27. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2011.392. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21952625
16. Barrett R, Heddle N, Kirpalani H, Moore RG, Arnold E, Shah PS, Staines A (2011) ‘Someone else’s blood’: directed blood donation for neonatal transfusion and parental perceptions of risk. Journal of Risk Research 14:837-845.
17. Campa D, Butterbach K, Slager SL, Skibola CF, de Sanjosé S, Benavente Y, Becker N, Foretova L, Maynadie M, Cocco P, Staines A, Kaaks R, Boffetta P, Brennan P, Conde L, Bracci PM, Caporaso NE, Strom SS, Camp NJ, Cerhan JR, Consortium Federico Canzian G, Nieters A. A comprehensive study of polymorphisms in the ABCB1, ABCC2, ABCG2, NR1I2 genes and lymphoma risk. Int J Cancer. 2011 Sep 14. doi: 10.1002/ijc.26436. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21918980
18. Schaffer K, Hassan J, Staines A, Coughlan S, Holder P, Tuite G, McCormick AP, Traynor O, Hall WW, Connell J. Surveillance of EBV viral loads in adult liver transplantation: Association with age, gender, time post-transplant and transplant indication. Liver Transpl. 2011 Aug 11. doi: 10.1002/lt.22406. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21837744
19. Smart KM, Curley A, Blake C, Staines A, Doody C. The reliability of clinical judgments and criteria associated with mechanisms-based classifications of pain in patients with low back pain disorders: a preliminary reliability study. J Man Manip Ther. 2010 Jun;18(2):102-10. PMID: 21655393
20. Cost of care for colorectal cancer in Ireland: a health care payer perspective. Tilson L, Sharp L, Usher C, Walsh C, S W, O’Ceilleachair A, Stuart C, Mehigan B, John Kennedy M, Tappenden P, Chilcott J, Staines A, Comber H, Barry M. Eur J Health Econ. 2011 Jun 3. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21638069
21. Smart KM, Blake C, Staines A, Doody C. The Discriminative Validity of “Nociceptive,” “Peripheral Neuropathic,” and “Central Sensitisation” as Mechanisms-Based Classifications of Musculoskeletal Pain. Clin J Pain. 2011 Apr 5. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 21471812.
22. Butterbach K, Beckmann L, de Sanjosé S, Benavente Y, Becker N, Foretova L,Maynadie M, Cocco P, Staines A, Boffetta P, Brennan P, Nieters A. Association of JAK-STAT pathway related genes with lymphoma risk: results of a European case-control study (EpiLymph). Br J Haematol. 2011 May;153(3):318-333. Doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2141.2011.08632.x. Epub 2011 Mar 21. PubMed PMID: 21418178.
23. Cashman O, Collins PJ, Lennon G, Cryan B, Martella V, Fanning S, Staines A, O’Shea H. Molecular characterization of group A rotaviruses detected in children with gastroenteritis in Ireland in 2006-2009. Epidemiol Infect. 2011 Mar 14:1-13. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 21396145.
24. Frazer K, Glacken M, Coughlan B, Staines A, Daly L. Hepatitis C virus in primary care: survey of nurses’ attitudes to caring. J Adv Nurs. 2011 Mar;67(3):598-608. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05516.x. Epub 2010 Dec 12. PubMed PMID: 21320157.
25. Frazer K, Glacken M, Coughlan B, Staines A, Daly L. Hepatitis C virus infection in primary care: survey of registered nurses’ knowledge and access to information. J Adv Nurs. 2011 Feb;67(2):327-39. Doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05489.x. Epub 2010 Nov 2. PubMed PMID: 21044133.
26. Kiran S, Cocco P, Mannetje A, Satta G, Dʼandrea I, Becker N, de Sanjosé S, Foretova L, Staines A, Kleefeld S, Maynadié M, Nieters A, Brennan P, Boffetta P. (2010) Occupational Exposure to Ethylene Oxide and Risk of Lymphoma. Epidemiology. 2010 Aug 31. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 20811284
27. Conde L, Halperin E, Akers NK, Brown KM, Smedby KE, Rothman N, Nieters A, Slager SL, Brooks-Wilson A, Agana L, Riby J, Liu J, Adami HO, Darabi H, Hjalgrim H, Low HQ, Humphreys K, Melbye M, Chang ET, Glimelius B, Cozen W, Davis S, Hartge P, Morton LM, Schenk M, Wang SS, Armstrong B, Kricker A, Milliken S, Purdue MP, Vajdic CM, Boyle P, Lan Q, Zahm SH, Zhang Y, Zheng T, Becker N, Benavente Y, Boffetta P, Brennan P, Butterbach K, Cocco P, Foretova L, Maynadié M, de Sanjosé S, Staines A, Spinelli JJ, Achenbach SJ, Call TG, Camp NJ, Glenn M, Caporaso NE, Cerhan JR, Cunningham JM, Goldin LR, Hanson CA, Kay NE, Lanasa MC, Leis JF, Marti GE, Rabe KG, Rassenti LZ, Spector LG, Strom SS, Vachon CM, Weinberg JB, Holly EA, Chanock S, Smith MT, Bracci PM, Skibola CF. (2010) Genome-wide association study of follicular lymphoma identifies a risk locus at 6p21.32. Nat Genet. 2010 Aug;42(8):661-4. Epub 2010 Jul 18.PMID: 20639881
28. Grulich AE, Vajdic CM, Falster MO, Kane E, Smedby KE, Bracci PM, de Sanjose S, Becker N, Turner J, Martinez-Maza O, Melbye M, Engels EA, Vineis P, Costantini AS, Holly EA, Spinelli JJ, La Vecchia C, Zheng T, Chiu BC, Franceschi S, Cocco P, Maynadié M, Foretova L, Staines A, Brennan P, Davis S, Severson RK, Cerhan JR, Breen EC, Birmann B, Cozen W. (2010) Birth order and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma–true association or bias? Am J Epidemiol. 2010 Sep 15;172(6):621-30. Epub 2010 Aug 18.PMID: 20720098
29. Nieters A, Bracci PM, de Sanjosé S, Becker N, Maynadié M, Benavente Y, Foretova L, Cocco P, Staines A, Holly EA, Boffetta P, Brennan P, Skibola CF. (2010) 1 A functional TNFRSF5 polymorphism and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma, a pooled analysis. Int J Cancer. 2010 Apr 27. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 20473910
30. Cocco P, t’Mannetje A, Fadda D, Melis M, Becker N, de Sanjosé S, Foretova L, Mareckova J, Staines A, Kleefeld S, Maynadié M, Nieters A, Brennan P, Boffetta P. (2010) Occupational exposure to solvents and risk of lymphoma subtypes: results from the Epilymph case-control study. Occup Environ Med. 2010 May;67(5):341-7.PMID: 20447988
31. Skibola CF, Bracci PM, Nieters A, Brooks-Wilson A, de Sanjosé S, Hughes AM, Cerhan JR, Skibola DR, Purdue M, Kane E, Lan Q, Foretova L, Schenk M, Spinelli JJ, Slager SL, De Roos AJ, Smith MT, Roman E, Cozen W, Boffetta P, Kricker A, Zheng T, Lightfoot T, Cocco P, Benavente Y, Zhang Y, Hartge P, Linet MS, Becker N, Brennan P, Zhang L, Armstrong B, Smith A, Shiao R, Novak AJ, Maynadie M, Chanock SJ, Staines A, Holford TR, Holly EA, Rothman N, Wang SS. (2010) Tumor necrosis factor (TNF) and lymphotoxin-alpha (LTA) polymorphisms and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in the InterLymph Consortium. Am J Epidemiol. 2010 Feb 1;171(3):267-76. Epub 2010 Jan 4.
32. Sweeney MR, Staines A, Daly L, Traynor A, Daly S, Bailey SW, Alverson PB, Ayling JE, Scott JM. (2009) Persistent circulating unmetabolised folic acid in a setting of liberal voluntary folic acid fortification. Implications for further mandatory fortification? BMC Public Health. 2009 Aug 18;9:295.PMID: 19689788 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
33. Smart KM, Blake C, Staines A, Doody C. Clinical indicators of ‘nociceptive’, ‘peripheral neuropathic’ and ‘central’ mechanisms of musculoskeletal pain. A Delphi survey of expert clinicians. Man Ther. 2009 Aug 11. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 19679504 [PubMed – as supplied by publisher]
34. Vajdic CM, Falster MO, de Sanjose S, Martínez-Maza O, Becker N, Bracci PM, Melbye M, Smedby KE, Engels EA, Turner J, Vineis P, Costantini AS, Holly EA, Kane E, Spinelli JJ, La Vecchia C, Zheng T, Chiu BC, Dal Maso L, Cocco P, Maynadié M, Foretova L, Staines A, Brennan P, Davis S, Severson R, Cerhan JR, Breen EC, Birmann B, Cozen W, Grulich AE. Atopic disease and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma: an InterLymph pooled analysis. Cancer Res. 2009 Aug 15;69(16):6482-9. Epub 2009 Aug 4. PMID: 19654312 [PubMed – in process]
35. Tewari P, Kenny E, Staines A, Chanock S, Browne P, Lawler M. Genetic variants in XRRC5 may predict development of venous thrombotic events in myeloma patients on thalidomide. Blood. 2009 May 28;113(22):5691-2. PMID: 19478055 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
36. Becker N, Fortuny J, Alvaro T, Nieters A, Maynadié M, Foretova L, Staines A, Brennan P, Boffetta P, Cocco PL, de Sanjose S. (2009) Medical history and risk of lymphoma: results of a European case-control study (EPILYMPH). J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2009 Feb 11. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 19205736 [PubMed – as supplied by publisher]
37. Perrotta C, Staines A, Cocco P. (2008) Multiple Myeloma and farming. A systematic review of 30 years of research. Where next? J Occup Med Toxicol. 2008 Nov 17;3(1):27. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 19014617 [PubMed – as supplied by publisher]
38. Kennedy OD, Brennan O, Rackard SM, Staines A, O’Brien FJ, Taylor D, Lee TC. (2008) Effects of ovariectomy on bone turnover, porosity, and biomechanical properties in ovine compact bone 12 months postsurgery. J Orthop Res. 2008 Oct 13. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 18853433 [PubMed – as supplied by publisher]
39. Burns R, Mayne PD, O’Herlihy C, Smith DF, Higgins M, Staines A, Smyth PP. (2008) Can neonatal TSH screening reflect trends in population iodine intake? Thyroid. 2008 Aug;18(8):883-8. PMID: 18651804 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
40. Dervan E, Lillis D, Flynn L, Staines A, O’Shea D. (2008) Factors that influence the patient uptake of diabetic retinopathy screening. Ir J Med Sci. 2008 Dec;177(4):303-8. Epub 2008 Jul 19. PMID: 18641918 [PubMed – in process]
41. Lyons, Suzi M., O’Keeffe, Frances M., Clarke, Anna T. and Staines, Anthony (2008) ‘Cultural diversity in the Dublin maternity services: the experiences of maternity service providers when caring for ethnic minority women’, Ethnicity & Health, 13:3, 261- 276.
42. Boffetta P, Hel OV, Kricker A, Nieters A, Sanjosé SD, Maynadié M, Cocco PL, Staines A, Becker N, Font R, Mannetje AT, Goumas C, Brennan P. Exposure to ultraviolet radiation and risk of malignant lymphoma and multiple myeloma–a multicentre European case-control study. Int J Epidemiol. 2008 May 29. [Epub ahead of print]
43. Zhang Y, Sanjose SD, Bracci PM, Morton LM, Wang R, Brennan P, Hartge P, Boffetta P, Becker N, Maynadie M, Foretova L, Cocco P, Staines A, Holford T, Holly EA, Nieters A, Benavente Y, Bernstein L, Zahm SH, Zheng T. Personal use of hair dye and the risk of certain subtypes of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Am J Epidemiol. 2008 Jun 1;167(11):1321-31. Epub 2008 Apr 11.
44. de Sanjose S, Benavente Y, Vajdic CM, Engels EA, Morton LM, Bracci PM, Spinelli JJ, Zheng T, Zhang Y, Franceschi S, Talamini R, Holly EA, Grulich AE, Cerhan JR, Hartge P, Cozen W, Boffetta P, Brennan P, Maynadié M, Cocco P, Bosch R, Foretova L, Staines A, Becker N, Nieters A. Hepatitis C and non-Hodgkin lymphoma among 4784 cases and 6269 controls from the International Lymphoma Epidemiology Consortium. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008 Apr;6(4):451-8.
45. Ekström Smedby K, Vajdic CM, Falster M, Engels EA, Martínez-Maza O, Turner J, Hjalgrim H, Vineis P, Seniori Costantini A, Bracci PM, Holly EA, Willett E, Spine lli JJ, La Vecchia C, Zheng T, Becker N, De Sanjosé S, Chiu BC, Dal Maso L, Cocco P, Maynadié M, Foretova L, Staines A, Brennan P, Davis S, Severson R, Cerhan JR, Breen EC, Birmann B, Grulich AE, Cozen W. Autoimmune disorders and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma subtypes: a pooled analysis within the InterLymph Consortium. Blood. 2008 Apr 15;111(8):4029-38. Epub 2008 Feb 8.
46. Boland M, Daly L, Staines A. Methodological issues in inclusive intellectual disability research: A health promotion needs assessment of people attending Irish disability services Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities 2008: 21 (3) 199-209 May 2008
47. Willett EV, Morton LM, Hartge P, Becker N, Bernstein L, Boffetta P, Bracci P, Cerhan J, Chiu BC, Cocco P, Dal Maso L, Davis S, De Sanjose S, Smedby KE, Ennas MG, Foretova L, Holly EA, La Vecchia C, Matsuo K, Maynadie M, Melbye M, Negri E, Nieters A, Severson R, Slager SL, Spinelli JJ, Staines A, Talamini R, Vornanen M, Weisenburger DD, Roman E; Interlymph Consortium. Non-Hodgkin lymphoma and obesity: a pooled analysis from the InterLymph Consortium. Int J Cancer. 2008 May 1;122(9):2062-70.
48. Kricker A, Armstrong BK, Hughes AM, Goumas C, Smedby KE, Zheng T, Spinelli JJ, De Sanjosé S, Hartge P, Melbye M, Willett EV, Becker N, Chiu BC, Cerhan JR, Maynadié M, Staines A, Cocco P, Boffeta P; Interlymph Consortium. Personal sun exposure and risk of non Hodgkin lymphoma: a pooled analysis from the Interlymph Consortium. Int J Cancer. 2008 Jan 1;122(1):144-54.
49. Lim VW, Staines A. (2007) Pathways to services for children with cerebral palsy in Selangor and the Federal Territory, Kuala Lumpur. Med J Malaysia. 2007 Dec;62(5):398-401. PMID: 18705475 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
50. Rachel Barrett, Ronald G. Moore, Anthony Staines. Blood transfusion in Ireland: Perceptions of risk, a question of trust. Health, Risk & Society, Volume 9, Issue 4 December 2007 , pages 375 – 388.
51. Hayden PJ, Tewari P, Morris DW, Staines A, Crowley D, Nieters A, Becker N, de Sanjosé S, Foretova L, Maynadié M, Cocco PL, Boffetta P, Brennan P, Chanock SJ, Browne PV, Lawler M. Variation in DNA repair genes XRCC3, XRCC4, XRCC5 and susceptibility to myeloma. Hum Mol Genet. 2007 Dec 15;16(24):3117-27. Epub 2007 Sep 26.
52. Moore T, Brennan P, Becker N, de Sanjosé S, Maynadié M, Foretova L, Cocco P, Staines A, Nieters A, Font R, Mannetje A, Benhaim-Luzon V, Boffetta P. Occupational exposure to meat and risk of lymphoma: a multicenter case-control study from Europe. Int J Cancer. 2007 Dec 15;121(12):2761-6.
53. de Sanjose S, Bosch R, Schouten T, Verkuijlen S, Nieters A, Foretova L, Maynadie M, Cocco PL, Staines A, Becker N, Brennan P, Benavente Y, Boffetta P, Meijer CJ, Middeldorp JM. Epstein-Barr virus infection and risk of lymphoma: Immunoblot analysis of antibody responses against EBV-related proteins in a large series of lymphoma subjects and matched controls. Int J Cancer. 2007 Jun 7; [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 17557295
54. Becker N, de Sanjose S, Nieters A, Maynadie M, Foretova L, Cocco PL, Staines A, Alvaro T, Vornanen M, Brennan P, Boffetta P. Birth order, allergies and lymphoma risk: Results of the European collaborative research project Epilymph. Leuk Res. 2007 May 2; [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 17481729
55. Harrington M, Sweeney MR, Bailie K, Morris K, Kennedy A, Boilson A, O’Riordan J, Staines A. What would encourage blood donation in Ireland? Vox Sang. 2007 May;92(4):361-7. PMID: 17456160 [PubMed – in process]
56. Sayers G, Dooley S, Staines A, Lane J, Thornton L, Staines M, Brennan S, Kelly P, Finlay F. Hepatitis A antibody prevalence among people with an intellectual disability in Ireland. Euro Surveill. 2007 Jan 20;12(1) [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 17370978 [PubMed – as supplied by publisher]
57. Wang SS, Slager SL, Brennan P, Holly EA, De Sanjose S, Bernstein L, Boffetta P, Cerhan JR, Maynadie M, Spinelli JJ, Chiu BC, Cocco PL, Mensah F, Zhang Y, Nieters A, Dal Maso L, Bracci PM, Costantini AS, Vineis P, Severson RK, Roman E, Cozen W, Weisenburger D, Davis S, Franceschi S, La Vecchia C, Foretova L, Becker N, Staines A, Vornanen M, Zheng T, Hartge P. Family history of hematopoietic malignancies and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL): a pooled analysis of 10 211 cases and 11 905 controls from the International Lymphoma Epidemiology Consortium (InterLymph). Blood. 2007 Apr 15;109(8):3479-88. Epub 2006 Dec 21. PMID: 17185468 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
58. Cullen W, Stanley J, Langton D, Kelly Y, Staines A, Bury G. Hepatitis C infection among injecting drug users in general practice: a cluster randomised controlled trial of clinical guidelines’ implementation. Br J Gen Pract. 2006 Nov;56(532):848-56.
59. Nieters A, Kallinowski B, Brennan P, Ott M, Maynadie M, Benavente Y, Foretova L, Cocco PL, Staines A, Vornanen M, Whitby DE, Boffetta P, Becker N, De Sanjose S. Hepatitis C and Risk of Lymphoma: Results of the European Multicenter Case-Control Study Epilymph. Gastroenterology. 2006 Sep 20; 131(6):1879-1886.
60. Casey R, Brennan P, Becker N, Boffetta P, Cocco P, Domingo-Domenech E, Foretova L, Nieters A, Sanjose SD, Staines A, Vornanen M, Maynadie M. Influence of familial cancer history on lymphoid neoplasms risk validated in the large European case-control study Epilymph. Eur J Cancer. 2006 Oct;42(15):2570-2576.
61. Boland M, Sweeney MR, Scallan E, Harrington M, Staines A. Emerging advantages and drawbacks of telephone surveying in public health research in Ireland and the U.K. BMC Public Health. 2006 Aug 15;6:208.
62. Besson H, Brennan P, Becker N, De Sanjose S, Nieters A, Font R, Maynadie M, Foretova L, Cocco PL, Staines A, Vornanen M, Boffetta P. Tobacco smoking, alcohol drinking and Hodgkin’s lymphoma: a European multi-centre case-control study (EPILYMPH). Br J Cancer. 2006 Aug 7;95(3):378-84. Epub 2006 Jul 4.
63. Hardiman DA, O’Brien FJ, Prendergast PJ, Croke DT, Staines A, Lee TC. Tracking the changes in unloaded bone: Morphology and gene expression. Eur J Morphol. 2006 Oct-Dec;42(4):208-16.
64. de Sanjose S, Benavente Y, Nieters A, Foretova L, Maynadie M, Cocco PL, Staines A, Vornanen M, Boffetta P, Becker N, Alvaro T, Brennan P. Association between Personal Use of Hair Dyes and Lymphoid Neoplasms in Europe. Am J Epidemiol. 2006 May 26.
65. Fortuny J, de Sanjose S, Becker N, Maynadie M, Cocco PL, Staines A, Foretova L, Vornanen M, Brennan P, Nieters A, Alvaro T, Boffetta P. Statin use and risk of lymphoid neoplasms: results from the European Case-Control Study EPILYMPH. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2006 May;15(5):921-5.
66. Besson H, Brennan P, Becker N, Nieters A, De Sanjose S, Font R, Maynadie M, Foretova L, Cocco PL, Staines A, Vornanen M, Boffetta P. Tobacco smoking, alcohol drinking and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma: A European multicenter case-control study (Epilymph). Int J Cancer. 2006 Aug 15;119(4):901-8.
67. McKeever T, Sweeney MR, Staines A. An investigation into the impact of prolonged waiting times on blood donors in Ireland. Vox Sang. 2006 Feb;90(2):113-8.
68. Boland M, Staines A, Fitzpatrick P, Scallan E. Urban-rural variation in mortality and hospital admission rates for unintentional injury in Ireland. Inj Prev. 2005;11:38-42.
69. Scallan E, Staines A, Fitzpatrick P, Laffoy M, Kelly A. Unintentional injury in Ireland: a comparison of mortality and morbidity data. J Public Health (Oxf). 2004 Mar;26(1):6-7.
70. Smith S, Bury G, O’Leary M, Shannon W, Tynan A, Staines A, Thompson C. The North Dublin randomized controlled trial of structured diabetes shared care. Fam Pract. 2004 Feb;21(1):39-45.
71. Smith SM, O’Leary M, Bury G, Shannon W, Tynan A, Staines A, Thompson C. (2003) A qualitative investigation of the views and health beliefs of patients with Type 2 diabetes following the introduction of a diabetes shared care service. Diabet Med. 2003 Oct;20(10):853-7.
72. McGrane J, Staines A. (2003) Nursing staff knowledge of the hepatitis B virus including attitudes and acceptance of hepatitis B vaccination: development of an effective program. AAOHN J. 2003 Aug;51(8):347-52.
73. Crowley D, Scallan E, Herbert J, Staines A, Herity B, Tracey J. (2003) Carbon monoxide poisoning in the Republic of Ireland. Ir Med J. 2003 Mar;96(3):83-6.
74. Lee TC, Staines A, Taylor D. (2002) Bone adaptation to load: microdamage as a stimulus for bone remodelling. J Anat. 2002 Dec;201(6):437-46.
75. Kennelly MM, Geary M, McCaffrey N, McLoughlin P, Staines A, McKenna P. (2002) Exercise-related changes in umbilical and uterine artery waveforms as assessed by Doppler ultrasound scans. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 187:661-6.
76. Garrett M, McElroy AM, Staines A. (2002) Locomotor milestones and babywalkers: cross sectional study. British Medical Journal 22;324(7352):1494.
77. Kelly R, Staines A, MacWalter R, Stonebridge P, Tunstall-Pedoe H, Struthers AD. (2002) The prevalence of treatable left ventricular systolic dysfunction in patients who present with non-cardiac vascular episodes. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 39:219-24.
78. Smith S, Bury G, O’Leary M, Shannon W, Tynan A, Staines A, Thompson C. (2001) The North Dublin Diabetes Shared Care (DiSC) Project: Profile of diabetes care in Ireland. Irish Medical Journal. 94:240-3.
79. O’Connell T, Thornton L, O’Flanagan D, Staines A, Connell J, Dooley S, McCormack G. Oral fluid collection by post for viral antibody testing. International Journal of Epidemiology. 2001;30:298-301.
80. O’Connell T, Thornton L, O’Flanagan D, Staines A, Connell J, Dooley S, McCormack G. Prevalence of hepatitis B anti-core antibody in the Republic of Ireland. Epidemiology and Infection. 2000;125:701-4.
81. Pascutto C, Wakefield JC, Best NG, Richardson S, Bernardinelli L, Staines A, Elliott P. Statistical issues in the analysis of disease mapping data. Statistics in Medicine. 2000;19:2493-519.
82. Staines A.(1999) Injuries in Ireland – the scale of the problem. Journal of the Office for Health Gain 3 (3): pp 6-7.
83. Staines A, Bodansky HJ, McKinney PA, Alexander FE, McNally RJ, Law GR, Lilley HE, Stephenson C, Cartwright RA. (1997) Small area variation in the incidence of childhood insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in Yorkshire, UK: links with overcrowding and population density. International Journal of Epidemiology. 26:1307-13.
84. Staines A, Hanif S, Ahmed S, McKinney PA, Shera S, Bodansky HJ. (1997) Incidence of insulin dependent diabetes mellitus in Karachi, Pakistan. Archives of Disease in Childhood. 76:121-3.
85. Law GR, McKinney PA, Staines A, Williams R, Kelly M, Alexander F, Gilman E, Bodansky HJ. (1997) Clustering of childhood IDDM. Links with age and place of residence. Diabetes Care. 20:753-6.
86. McNally RJ, Alexander FE, Staines A, Cartwright RA. (1997) A comparison of three methods of analysis for age-period-cohort models with application to incidence data on non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. International Journal of Epidemiology. 26:32-46.
87. Parslow RC, McKinney PA, Law GR, Staines A, Williams R, Bodansky HJ. (1997) Incidence of childhood diabetes mellitus in Yorkshire, northern England, is associated with nitrate in drinking water: an ecological analysis. Diabetologia. 40:550-6.
88. McNally RJ, Cartwright RA, Staines A, Kuterescz S, Rowland D. (1996) The incidence and distribution of leukaemia and lymphoma within Northern Ireland in the period 1989-1993. Ulster Medical Journal. 65:19-31.
89. McKinney PA, Law GR, Bodansky HJ, Staines A, Williams DR. (1996) Geographical mapping of childhood diabetes in the northern English county of Yorkshire. Diabetic Medicine. 13:734-40.
90. Rothwell PM, Staines A, Smail P, Wadsworth E, McKinney P. (1996) Seasonality of birth of patients with childhood diabetes in Britain. British Medical Journal. 312:1456-1457.
91. Onwude JL, Lilford RJ, Hjartardottir H, Staines A, Tuffnell D. (1995) A randomised double blind placebo controlled trial of fish oil in high risk pregnancy. British Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology. 102:95-100.
92. Cartwright R, McNally R, Staines A. (1994) The increasing incidence of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (NHL): the possible role of sunlight. Leukemia & Lymphoma. 14:387-94.
93. McKinney PA, Alexander FE, Cartwright RA, Scott CS, Staines A. (1993) Acute lymphoblastic leukaemia incidence in the UK by immunophenotype. Leukemia. 7:1630-4.
94. Staines A, Cartwright RA. (1993) Hairy cell leukaemia: descriptive epidemiology and a case-control study. British Journal of Haematology. 85:714-7.
95. Staines A, Bodansky HJ, Lilley HE, Stephenson C, McNally RJ, Cartwright RA. (1993) The epidemiology of diabetes mellitus in the United Kingdom: the Yorkshire Regional Childhood Diabetes Register. Diabetologia. 36:1282-7.
96. Bodansky HJ, Staines A, Stephenson C, Haigh D, Cartwright R. (1992) Evidence for an environmental effect in the aetiology of insulin dependent diabetes in a transmigratory population. British Medical Journal. 304:1020-2.
97. Staines A. (1992) The Yorkshire Region Children’s Tumour Registry – the role of the specialised children’s registry. Irish Medical Journal. 85:9-11.
98. Connolly B, Staines A, O’Meara A, Breatnach F, Fitzgerald RJ. (1992) The changing role of surgery in the management of rhabdomyosarcoma. European Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2:90-3.
99. Staines A, Cullen S, Guiney EJ, Fitzgerald RJ, Breatnach F. (1990) Combination chemotherapy in the treatment of hepatoblastoma. Pediatric Hematology & Oncology. 7:205-7.
100. Vandenberghe E, Staines A, Breatnach F, O’Meara A. (1989) Recent experience with intensive combination chemotherapy for treatment of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. Irish Journal of Medical Science. 158:97-101.
101. Staines A, Lee TC, Gaughan B, Bonar S, Bonnar J. (1986) An unusual presentation of a renal adenocarcinoma. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 7:74-75.
102. Bolger C, Staines A. (1985) Survey of student opinion of the medical curriculum at Trinity College, Dublin, Republic of Ireland. Medical Education. 19:382-4.
103. Darroch C, Staines A, Patterson A, Mendelow AD. (1985) Effects of carbon dioxide inhalation on systemic blood pressure, and cerebral blood flow. IRCS Medical Sciences 13:418-9.
Books, Reports and Chapters
1. McCarthy J , Budden D, Irvine K, Langeweg F, Moeran R, O’Sullivan J, Ryall A, Staines A, Stapleton L. 2011 A Review of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Presented to the Minister for the Environment, Heritage & Local Government by The Environmental Protection Agency Review Group. Department of the Environment (80 pp.)
2. Staines A, Groenewegen P, Hardiman O, White M, Thomas S, Crotty G,De la Harpe D, Drumm M, O’Connor M, Smith S, Sweeney MR. (2011) Implementing Social Health Insurance in Ireland. Dublin :DCU. (22 pp.)
3. Abdalla S, Cronin F, Daly L, Drummond A, Fitzpatrick P, Frazier K, Hamid NA, Kelleher C, Kelly C, Kilroe J, Lotya J, McGorrian C, Moore RG, Murnane S, Nic Chárthaigh R, O’Mahony D, O’Shea B, Quirke B, Staines A, Staines D, Sweeney MR, Turner J, Ward A, Whelan J. (2010) All-Ireland Traveller Health Study Our Geels. Dublin Department of Health and Children. (160 pp.)
4. Staines A, Vega A, O’Shea, S, Murrin C. Resource Allocation for the Health Service Executive A Model for Primary, Continuing and Community Care. Dublin:HRB/DCU (2 vols, 39pp. and 127 pp.)
5. Sharp L , Ó Céilleachair A, Comber H, Tilson L, Usher C, Walsh C, Barry M, Whyte S, Tappenden P, Chilcott J, Staines A. (2009) Health technology assessment (HTA) of a population-based colorectal cancer screening programme in Ireland HIQA:Dublin and Cork (240 pp.)
6. Staines A, Boilson A, Craven F, Wyse E. (2008) An assessment of the health status of children detained at Irish Industrial Schools 1940 – 1983. Dublin: Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse. (‘Ryan Report’ Volume 5.) (90 pp.)
7. Boilson A, Craven C, Drummond A, Fitz-Simon N, O’Mahony D, Staines A, Kelleher C. (2007) Insight 07:Health and Social Services in Ireland – a survey of consumer satisfaction. HSE:Kildare (80 pp.).
8. Repacholi M, van Rongen E, McManus T. Staines A. (2007) Health effects of electromagnetic fields. Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources:Dublin (56 pp.).
9. O’Herlihy B, Boran G, Johnson J, Kane H, Keogh B, McDermott R, Sayers G, Staines A. (2005) Uranium in Drinking Water – the Baltinglass Study. Kildare and Dublin, Health Services Executive and University College Dublin (55 pp.).
10. Staines A, Lotya J, O’Riordan J for the NBSIG (2004). National Blood Strategy Implementation Group – Report to the Minister for Health and Children. Dublin:Department of Health (102 pp.).
11. Crowley D, Staines A, Collins C, Bracken J, Bruen M, Fry J, Hrymak V, Malone D, Magette B, Ryan M, Thunhurst C. (2003) Health and environmental effects of landfilling and incineration of waste. HRB:Dublin. (398 pp.).
12. Collins C, Lyons S, Staines A. (2002) Investing in parenthood: Are universal supports for families effective and efficient? Dublin: Best Health for Children. (70 pp.)
13. Staines A. (2002) Spatial variation in vulnerability. In :- Briggs D, Jarup L, Stern R (Eds.) The use of Geographical Information Systems in disaster planning. Kluwer Academic Press: Dordrecht. (12 pp.).
14. Staines A, Lyons S, Doyle S. (2002) Health Information Systems: International lessons. A report for the Department of Health and Children, Ireland. Dublin: Department of Public Health Medicine and Epidemiology, UCD. (120 pp.).
15. Scallan E, Staines A, Fitzpatrick P, Laffoy M, Kelly A. (2001) Injury in Ireland. Dublin: Department of Public Health Medicine and Epidemiology, UCD. (250 pp.)
16. Staines A, Houghton F, Daly L, Kelleher K, Herity B, O’Mahony M. (2001) The Askeaton Human Health Study. In:- Kelleher K et al. (Editors) Investigation of animal health problems in Askeaton Co. Limerick. Human Health. EPA: Wexford.
17. Kelleher K, Birbeck G, Daly L, Fitzgerald A, Fitzgerald M, Gleeson M, Herity B Houghton F, Kelly A, McKeown P, O’Mahony M, Staines A. (2001) Human health. In :- Investigation of animal health problems in Askeaton, Co. Limerick Main report. EPA: Wexford.
18. Staines A, Jarup L. Health event data. Spatial epidemiology 2001:1 (9) 15-30 (Oxford Scholarship Online Monographs)
19. Staines A, Larup J. (2000) Data quality. In:- Disease and Exposure Mapping. Elliott P, Wakefield J, Best NJ, Briggs D (Eds) Oxford: Oxford University Press
20. Laffoy M, Staines A (Editors). (1999) Injury prevention – doing what works. Journal of the Office for Health Gain 3 (3) (special issue).
21. Begley M, Garavan C, Condon M, Kelly I, Staines A. (1999) Asylum in Ireland: A Public Health Perspective. Department of Public Health UCD and Congregation of the Holy Ghost: Dublin.
22. Staines A. (1999) Poverty and Health. In :- Statistics in society. Simpson L, Dorling D (Eds.) London: Edward Arnold.
23. Arrundale J, Bain M, Botting B, Brewster D, Cartwright R, Chalmers J, Coggan D, Elliott P, Jackson I, McKinney P, McNally RJQ, Miles DPB, Quinn MJ, Sharp L, Staines A, Stiller C, Wilkinson P. (1997) Handbook and Guide to the Investigation of Clusters of Diseases. Leeds: Leukaemia Research Fund, London: Office for National Statistics Edinburgh: Information and Services Division, Scottish Health Service.
24. Alexander FE, Cartwright RA, Draper G, Kuterescz S, McKinney PA, McNally RJQ, Rowlands DJ, Staines A, Stiller C. (1997) The descriptive epidemiology of leukaemia and related conditions in parts of the United Kingdom 1984 – 1993. Leeds: Leukaemia Research Fund. (130pp).
25. McNally RJQ, Cartwright RA, Staines A, Kuterescz S, Rowland D. (1995) Leukaemia and Lymphoma: Incidence and distribution within Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland Leukaemia Research Fund: Belfast.
26. Cartwright RA, Staines A. (1992) Acute leukaemias. Epidemiology of Haematological disease: Part I (Edited by Fleming AF) Baillieres’ Clinical Haematology. 5:1-26.
1. Staines A. (1997) The geographical epidemiology of childhood insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and acute lymphoblastic leukaemia in Yorkshire. Thesis submitted to the University of Leeds, for the degree of PhD in Epidemiology.
2. Staines A. (1995) Deprivation and mortality in Yorkshire: Changes from 1981 to 1991. Thesis submitted to the Faculty of Public Health Medicine, London, for the second part of the Membership of the Faculty.
3. Staines A. (1990) The teacher expectancy effect in the National Child Development Study. Thesis submitted to the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.